No wonder all my relatives live in Switzerland! – by Ari.

No wonder all my relatives live in Switzerland! – by Ari.

Hey guys, I’m Ari and I’ve been a volunteer in the YMCA for 3 and a half years now. I joined the YMCA to have a place where I can hang out with my friends, but little did I know that I was starting a life journey that would shape and nurture me as a leader and person! Week by week I was taught and challenged with incremental tasks that promoted good values; I was pushed towards independence gradually, and when the time came, I was given the opportunity to travel and represent my country in Switzerland! 

The day came when we had to set off. Luckily our flights were a breeze and we didn’t have any problems while traveling. We first set foot in the beautiful city of Geneva and had a few spare hours to stroll around the vast city. Wandering through Geneva, I was continuously reminded of how small we actually are, and how there’s an endless world waiting to be seen and marveled. The streets, the people, the stores, the buildings, all were unlike anything I’d seen before.   

Ari and his leader Adrian
I will try to narrow my highlights to only two, but I can never do justice to the whole experience. First and foremost was the training including the nice participants and the trainers. When the whole group got together I encountered firsthand the outreach that the YMCA had in the world.  The volunteers there were from all over the globe, from Australia all the way to Peru. I would’ve usually felt timid in that sort of situation, but the YMCA had prepared me for this moment- I was ready. I was quick to make friends with all of them, and it was fairly easy since we had the YMCA in common and we could talk about that for hours. I was also amazed by the wisdom that some members held, giving welcomed insight both in training and while hanging out. The training, also the reason we were there was thorough and well developed. I was in the youth empowerment training and I believe it to be the best suited for me. It started by giving us the knowledge and then continued with a brainstorm of solutions to the problems we could find in our country. Finally, the nights were colored with multicultural activities such as dances, photos, and food from every country participating there. 

Ari in the Swiss Alps
Secondly, another crucial part of the trip were the details surrounding the journey. Incredible details that added a sprinkle of zest to the experience. When we arrived at our final destination in Leysin, it was nearly 10 in the afternoon and we went straight to bed. What followed the next morning was the most stunning scenery I’d ever seen in my life. The Swiss mountains are well-known for their breathtaking appearance, but witnessing it first-hand was totally different. It was a view I’ll bear with me for the following years, and it is the first thing that pops in my mind when thinking of Switzerland.
Accompanying this incredible view with the delicious food that was provided during the training. It just creates an experience that can’t be described but must be lived.



When the training was finished. I was equipped with an unforgettable memory of Switzerland, everything I could’ve asked for. I was also equipped with the knowledge and the power to realize the project I was trained for. But as Uncle Ben (R.I.P) used to say:” With great power comes great responsibility”, and as so I’m responsible to take everything I’ve learned from this wonderful training/journey and work on making Kosovo better. That will be my mission from now on.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mësova gjëra që në të ardhmen t'i ndihmoj ndokuj edhe t'i përdor për vete / I learned things to help others in the future and to use them for myself / Naučio sam stvari kako bih u budućnosti pomagao drugima i koristio ih za sebe - Olti Vrella

The door is always open by Valentina

The right to participate in decision-making processes by Njomza