Talking about the future in Brussels



I took part in YMCA Europe’s 3rd annual fundraising conference, not something I am used to attending but the reality is in some YMCA’s you may have a certain role but you end up involved in most things. It was a 3 day conference in Brussels “the capital of Europe” as I kept getting told.
As I looked at the schedule I knew this was going to get heavy at times and there were sessions around the new Erasmus + and EU financial instruments, there was also input from the Scout movement and discussion around a potential YMCA Europe office in Brussels. 

Fundraising Conference participants

 Jane Burns from England kicked off the conference and went through a host of methods and initiatives which worked in the western countries, she also treated us to YMCA England’s new brand which I feel has been an excellent process however the new logo left some traditionalists without words, however others felt it would grow on them... eventually.

My favorite session was the one delivered by Ian Marr from YMCA Scotland where he introduced his “Social Impact Investment Model” quite possibly one of the best things I have ever seen. It was apparent that a lot of energy and time spent in lawyers offices had gone in to this. In my opinion it’s a fantastic model which more local YMCA’s should use and take advantage of.

The message I heard from most speakers is that the most important thing in terms of fundraising is profile and individuals. I came away feeling positive that the profile here in Kosovo is building slowly but well. Emphasis was put on looking after donors and investors but at the same time staying true to the mission. Nothing ground-breaking here I feel, but always worth reminding ourselves of this issue. 

It was also great to spend some time with Juan and YMCA Europe’s president Ed. I managed to have some interesting conversations with both of them and this reminded me of how fortunate I am to have such opportunities and how far I have come from a local YMCA in the North of England. 

 
Speaking with Juan

 I stayed on for an extra two evenings to spend some time with the Root for Reconciliation staff. It was fantastic to evaluate the journey through Istanbul, Yerevan and Strasbourg and to talk about the tandem grants which will take place this year. For me this has to be the most exciting part of the project now, and I truly believe when we deliver these training conferences between post conflicting countries it will give our movement a profile that will be difficult to match.

My attention now turns to Kosovo in September and welcoming 35 participants from 14 countries, a fantastic training team and what we hope will energize the region and it movements.


Spending time with the Roots staff: Vardan, Rezi and Marius
 
I’d like to finish with a comment I said at the conference, during a debate around social media and its benefits of building a profile, a comment was made about making a separate group of under 30’s to do something. My hand was up instantly for a comment:

“Please don’t put us under 30’s in a box… and please stop calling us the future,
 we don’t call you the past”

Laughter, applause and smiles followed…point made!

Comments

  1. Dear Adi, this is a great blog. I really enjoyed our conversation and think that we should continue with that. The General Assembly of YMCA Europe will be the next opportunity. Hope that you can make it to participate. Your comment about that artificial division of older/younger than 30 is right from my heart. I was not there when you made your point, but I applaud from a distance :-) . Keep on going with your good work in Kosovo.
    Warm greetings; Ed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mësova gjëra që në të ardhmen t'i ndihmoj ndokuj edhe t'i përdor për vete / I learned things to help others in the future and to use them for myself / Naučio sam stvari kako bih u budućnosti pomagao drugima i koristio ih za sebe - Olti Vrella

The door is always open by Valentina

The right to participate in decision-making processes by Njomza