Arita visits YMCA Finland

My name is Arita and I’m the program coordinator for our after school project here in Kosovo. I got the chance to go on a study visit to YMCA Finland and see up close their work and what  they are doing in their YMCA, including their after school programs. Jenni Enqvist the leader of our field group and National board member of YMCA Finland made this possible for us.

Hello Kosovo??? 

When we first arrived in Helsinki we stayed in the Arthur hotel, this also had space for projects. The hotel was incredible! Afterwards, we had the chance to meet the director Timo Laulaja and one of their staff from the after school program, Tuomas Makela. Their hospitality and what they had organized for us is something I will always remember. Everything went according to the agenda and they presented to us their work. I also got the chance to visit the other halls and rooms where the after school program runs, and I kept telling myself “One day we will be like this too!”

Arita checks out the craft work of the children

We continued the trip in Turku where we were again welcomed and we got to see their work and premises also. I met with the director of the movement Ilpo Lahdenkauppi was impressed that they had three islands which they own and hold their activities and camps. The organisation has achieved a lot of successes during the 125 years of its life. I found it very useful when one of the girls from after after school project explained to me some new ideas and initiatives for sessions that I will try out back in Kosovo!

Meeting the program director and the CEO


I also visited Vantaa Y and there I saw another example of their after school program but also their other activities including sports. The team in charge spent time with me telling me how the day is usually structured and how they plan and deliver activities.

With the staff of Vantaa Y


I want to thank Dorina who made this trip unforgettable for me and also Jenni. For me it was an amazing experience, a very useful one and made me come back from Finland with a new spirit and very motivated to make positive changes in our after school program.


Arita with Jenni & Dorina

Arita


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mësova gjëra që në të ardhmen t'i ndihmoj ndokuj edhe t'i përdor për vete / I learned things to help others in the future and to use them for myself / Naučio sam stvari kako bih u budućnosti pomagao drugima i koristio ih za sebe - Olti Vrella

The door is always open by Valentina

The right to participate in decision-making processes by Njomza